Friday, February 6, 2009

When one door closes, another one opens...

It was a week of mixed emotions. I felt the reality of my leaving Myra Linn starting on Monday. I felt out of sorts and was paralyzed with grief as I thought of leaving the comfort and safety of the place I have called home for the last four years as a 3rd grade teacher. My fabulous third grade team agreed to take their new students a day early so that I could have time to clean up and pack up my classroom. It was heartbreaking for me to say goodbye to my class yesterday, but I was over it by today. So, I spent my last day alone in my room packing up and then making three trips to my garage to unload all of the bins I filled. The sunshine committee brought a delicious cake for all of us to enjoy in the lounge at our breaks, and they gave me a beautiful plant to liven up my new work space. A few people stopped by throughout the day to give me a hug and/or a going away gift, all of which were much appreciated. At the end of the day, I enjoyed a wonderful time visiting with several friends (Mary Klaas and her family, Mary Crosby, Carolyn Cordova, Kristy Cordova, Rita Woodland, Alicia Rubio, Leticia Parsons, Jeff Lawler, Wynette Albachten, and Jeni Cosner) at El Torito's happy hour. It meant a lot to me that they showed their support for me at this final farewell. I will really miss my students, peers, and the Myra Linn community. I hope I left footprints worth following there. I look forward to a new beginning at my new work place, La Granada Elementary School, as an Academic/Instructional Coach.

1 comment:

  1. Ya! I can view your blog! I have to say, that I for one have learned a lot from you as a teacher, a friend and as a mother. You are kind, gentle, quiet, and yet you expect the best from people, and in most cases you get it. Thank you for everything you have shared with me, particularly for the things you didn't know you were teaching. :)

    ReplyDelete